Friday, April 20, 2007

Polyp Removal - it was pleasant, what a surprize!

Well, it wasn't 100 % pleasant but there was something pleasant about it. Someone from the yahoo support group asked me about polyp removal because it was her first procedure under general anesthesia she was very scared. This is my email to her describing what happened to me.

On another note, the nurse was so attentive - I was in a private hospital! She gave me exactly what I wanted, which was icecream - this was the best icecream I have tasted for years! Amazing!!

" It was a very easy and relatively pleasant experience, I am surprized to say. This was my first time going under the general anesthesia. I was so very scared, you cannot imagine, or maybe you can. :) I met with the surgeon and anesthesiologist to hear what drugs I am going to be given. This is very common here when you meet with both to discuss what will happen. I had questions for the surgeon, I was afraid that he could cut my uterus and I will never be able to have children after that. This was my main fear. He reassured me that it is highly unlikely and also many women have c-section where they cut the uterus and they have children after that. So after that I was not afraid to lose my uterus.

Ok, I arrived to the hospital. First they gave me a drug for anxiety and tylenol. The drug started working in about 30 min. Then they took me to a surgery room, inserted a needle in my left arm (this was a bit unpleasant). Through this needle they started infusion of morphine (it was the next generation of morphine, I can't remember the name, but it is supposedly gives you less nausea afterwards) and propofol (a short acting anesthetic). I went to sleep within 5 min. after the infusion. I slept very well, I really enjoyed it, it was a very refreshing sleep. When I woke up, they told me it was over. I was surprized and unhappy because I wanted to sleep some more. :) The surgery takes about one hour, of which most of the time is spent preparing you and dilating you. After the surgery I had some cramps but they gave me immediately some tylenol and I was fine. The surgery was at 3 and I went home (I could walk and everything else) at 7 pm. I was a little bit hung over but ok overall.

The next day I could have gone to work but decided to stay home although I had no pain whatsoever. Today (the surgery was the day before yesterday) I am perfectly fine. No pain. I do have some bleeding but it is like a light period. Nothing new for me or for you, I am sure. In retrospect I thought it was a pleasant experience (surprizingly!). They took care of me and I finally caught up on my sleep. :) "

Unfortunately I had to miss my lecture -Introduction to Psychotherapy. I feel that psychotherapy is what I am missing to really help heal my patients.

No comments: